Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tatum Paragraph

Though this group of children, almost all of whom were White, did not live near a large Native American population and probably had had little if any personal interaction with American Indians, they all had internalized an image of what Indians were like. How did they know? Cartoon images, in particular the Disney movie Peter Pan, were cited by the children as their number-one source of information. At the age of three, these children already had a set of stereotypes in place. Though I would not describe three-year-olds as prejudiced, the stereotypes to which they have been exposed become the foundation for the adult prejudices so many of us have.

The first thing I annotated was the thing about "smog breathers" I think it would be kind of cool to be called a smog breather. It's like my lungs are so pro that they can thrive from the toxic smog that I breathe in. I also commented on hmm maybe some smokers might find this offensive. I then circled bombarded and defined it, since it’s used in an unusual way. I made a little not that said bombarded = relentless exposure in that context. In the later of the paragraph i wrote about how a lot of my friend’s parents seem to be very uhmm stereotypical especially in the car or when speaking other langues.

No comments:

Post a Comment